Police in Quebec City early Sunday arrested a man on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others in a stabbing rampage near the provincial legislature on Halloween.
They say a man in his mid-20s has been arrested in connection with the Halloween night attacks and taken to a hospital in Quebec. Quebec City is the capital of the French-speaking Canadian province of Quebec.
Police had earlier warned residents to remain indoors as they hunted for a man dressed in medieval clothing and armed with a bladed weapon who had left “multiple victims.”
Spokesman Etienne Doyon said police were first notified of the stabbings near the National Assembly shortly before 10:30 p.m. Saturday.
“Shortly before 1:00am, the SPVQ (Quebec city police force) arrested a suspect,” the force said on Twitter, asking residents of the city to “stay inside with the doors locked” because an “investigation is still ongoing.”
The five injured victims were taken to a hospital, and a spokeswoman said their lives did not appear to be in danger.
Police asked area residents to remain indoors as their investigation was ongoing.
There’s no word on a possible motive for the attacks.
(FRANCE 24 with AP, AFP)
Orginally published on France24